Friday, April 5, 2013

Psalm 119:17-24

Psalm 119:17-24

New International Version (NIV)

ג Gimel

17 Be good to your servant while I live,
    that I may obey your word.
18 Open my eyes that I may see
    wonderful things in your law.
19 I am a stranger on earth;
    do not hide your commands from me.
20 My soul is consumed with longing
    for your laws at all times.
21 You rebuke the arrogant, who are accursed,
    those who stray from your commands.
22 Remove from me their scorn and contempt,
    for I keep your statutes.
23 Though rulers sit together and slander me,
    your servant will meditate on your decrees.
24 Your statutes are my delight;
    they are my counselors.
 
 

Psalm 119:17-24

The Message (MSG)
17-24 Be generous with me and I’ll live a full life;
    not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road.
Open my eyes so I can see
    what you show me of your miracle-wonders.
I’m a stranger in these parts;
    give me clear directions.
My soul is starved and hungry, ravenous!—
    insatiable for your nourishing commands.
And those who think they know so much,
    ignoring everything you tell them—let them have it!
Don’t let them mock and humiliate me;
    I’ve been careful to do just what you said.
While bad neighbors maliciously gossip about me,
    I’m absorbed in pondering your wise counsel.
Yes, your sayings on life are what give me delight;
    I listen to them as to good neighbors!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I just love Psalms. The words or so comforting and relavant to today's world. Thanks for reminding me how lucky we are to live in Madison South Dakota. Today on the radio, Allen Green (from Lifelight) indicated that in Juarez, Mexico, after Good Friday service a worship leader and assistant were making plans for Easter morning and someone shot into the home they were at and killed them. It is times like this you question why. But today as I sit at my desk, drinking a latte I know that my blessings overflow. Stand strong, Sword Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Psalmist is consumed with a longing for God's laws and rules in these verses. He is asking for God to help him obey these laws at all times, even when it is hard and he can't do it in his own strength, especially when the world is mocking him and slandering those who believe in the Word of God. Sounds a lot like the times we are living in. Oh that Christians today would be this paaionate about the Word of God. We should be praying Psalm 119 daily for our country and world. There are so many promises we can claim. He has promised to instruct us and teach us, to be our counselor. When I read verse 19, the words from a couple of songs went through my mind. An old hymn reminded me that this world is not my home, I am only passing through.....heaven is my home. The other song I just heard recently for the first time says that this is my temporary home. I need to keep eternity in view and let God lead me. Then verse 24 reminded me once again to delight in God's laws and God's Word. To delight is to have my heart set on something. What am I longing for daily? Are the world's delights drowning out my delight in God's Word? You are so right, Susan.....the words in this Psalm are relevant for the world we are living in today.

    ReplyDelete